Bp rewrite
Ram Chander
2013-02-12 07:00:57 UTC
Hi,

Anyone knows if there is any progress on bp_rewrite ? Its much awaited to
solve re-distribution issue, and moving vdevs.

Regards,
Ram
Tyler Walter
2013-02-15 14:39:29 UTC
As someone who has zero insider information and feels that there isn't much push at oracle to develop or release new zfs features, I have to assume it's not coming. The only way I see it becoming a reality is if someone in the illumos community decides to do the work required to put it in.

Tyler

________________________________

Ram
Darren J Moffat
2013-02-15 14:43:03 UTC
Post by Tyler Walter
As someone who has zero insider information and feels that there isn't
much push at oracle to develop or release new zfs features, I have to
assume it's not coming. The only way I see it becoming a reality is if
someone in the illumos community decides to do the work required to put
it in.
You obviously missed the thread we had recently about the new ZFS
features that Solaris 11 and 11.1 have. ZFS is very much in active
feature, bugfix and performance improvement at Oracle for current and
future versions of Solaris and the ZFS Storage Appliance.

BP rewrite is actually very complex to do correctly and safely - it it
wasn't I'm sure it would have been done by now by multiple people!
Darren J Moffat
Sašo Kiselkov
2013-02-15 15:53:17 UTC
Post by Tyler Walter
As someone who has zero insider information and feels that there isn't
much push at oracle to develop or release new zfs features, I have to
assume it's not coming. The only way I see it becoming a reality is if
someone in the illumos community decides to do the work required to
put it in.
As for BP rewrite, Darren already noted, it is in a whole special class
of "hard to do".

As for the community involvement: we welcome everybody at Illumos. It's
of course impossible to do predictions of future feature progress, but
we have our own stuff in the works and unlike the opensolaris.org
website (don't know about the mailing lists), we won't plan on winding
down by the end of next month. If the fine people at Oracle keep a good
pace, it's possible you'll see a steady stream of improvements from them
as well (though I personally suspect that they'll hand you the
improvements in one hand and a hefty invoice in the other).

Cheers,
--
Saso