What would be the best tutorial cum reference doc for ZFS
Hans J. Albertsson
2013-03-19 09:30:07 UTC
as used on Illumos?

I've seen a few tutorials written by people who obviously are very
action oriented; afterwards you find you have worn your keyboard down a
bit and not learned a lot at all, at least not in the sense of
understanding what zfs is and what it does and why things are the way
they are.

I'm looking for something that would make me afterwards understand what,
say, commands like zpool import ... or zfs send ... actually do, and
some idea as to why, so I can begin to understand ZFS in a way that
allows me to make educated guesses on how to perform tasks I haven't
tried before.
And mostly without having to ask around for days on end.

For SOME part of zfs I'm already there, but only for the things I had to
do more than twice or so while managing the Swedish lab at Sun Micro.
Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
2013-03-19 12:05:41 UTC
Post by Hans J. Albertsson
I'm looking for something that would make me afterwards understand what,
say, commands like zpool import ... or zfs send ... actually do, and
some idea as to why, so I can begin to understand ZFS in a way that
allows me to make educated guesses on how to perform tasks I haven't
tried before.
man zpool
man zfs
And the ZFS Best Practices Guide
And the ZFS Evil (I forget what it's called, performance tuning? just search for evil, you'll find it.)

But almost everything is literally in the man pages.
Cindy Swearingen
2013-03-19 19:43:22 UTC
Hi Hans,

Start with the ZFS Admin Guide, here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E29007/index.html

Or, start with your specific questions.

Thanks, Cindy
Deirdre Straughan
2013-03-19 19:59:21 UTC
There are links to videos and other materials here:
http://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/ZFS

Not as organized as I'd like...

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Hans J. Albertsson <
Post by Hans J. Albertsson
as used on Illumos?
I've seen a few tutorials written by people who obviously are very action
oriented; afterwards you find you have worn your keyboard down a bit and
not learned a lot at all, at least not in the sense of understanding what
zfs is and what it does and why things are the way they are.
I'm looking for something that would make me afterwards understand what,
say, commands like zpool import ... or zfs send ... actually do, and some
idea as to why, so I can begin to understand ZFS in a way that allows me to
make educated guesses on how to perform tasks I haven't tried before.
And mostly without having to ask around for days on end.
For SOME part of zfs I'm already there, but only for the things I had to
do more than twice or so while managing the Swedish lab at Sun Micro.
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan
Community Architect, SmartOS
illumos Community Manager