2013-01-08 18:05:59 UTC
status: The pool metadata is corrupted and the pool cannot be opened.
action: Destroy and re-create the pool from
a backup source.
scan: none requested
NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
d FAULTED 0 0 1
raidz1-0 FAULTED 0 0 6
da1 ONLINE 0 0 0
3419704811362497180 OFFLINE 0 0 0 was /dev/da2
da3 ONLINE 0 0 0
da4 ONLINE 0 0 0
da5 ONLINE 0 0 0
But if I look at the labels on all the online disks I see this:
# zdb -ul /dev/da1 | egrep '(children|path)'
But the offline disk (da2) shows the older correct label:
zpool import -F doesnt help because none of the labels on the unfaulted disks seem to have the right label. And unless I can import the pool I cant replace the bad drive.
Also zpool seems to really not want to import a raidz1 pool with one faulted drive even though that should be readable. I have read about the undocumented -V option but dont know if that would help.
I got into this state when i noticed the pool was DEGRADED and was trying to replace the bad disk. I am debugging it under FreeBSD 9.1
Suggestions of things to try welcome, Im more interested in learning what went wrong than restoring the pool. I dont think I should have been able to go from one offline drive to a unrecoverable pool this easily.